This successful legislative campaign with the Virginia state legislature produced a five-year, $3.4 billion transportation investment bill that, among other changes, replaced the state’s gas tax with a sales tax on motor fuel. The legislature passed the bill in March, and Governor McDonnell (R) signed this overhaul of the transportation funding system into law in May. The new law scrapped the gas tax, raised the sales tax, established a tax on wholesale gas and diesel, and charged registration fees for hybrid, electric and alternative-fuel vehicles.
- Case Study – Virginia – 2013
- Campaign Advertising Materials: Virginia “Let’s Go VA” Campaign
- VTCA Virginia Statewide Survey of Likely Voters (January 2012): VTCA Public Release of Poll Results
- Study Conducted by ARTBA: ARTBA Study VA
- Article: “Va. Primary May Not Sway National Debate.” Scott Wong. Politico Pro. June 12, 2013. Article 2013