New Hampshire

State News


Oct. 27: State Transportation Funding News

Gov. Phil Bryant (R) told attendees of the Mississippi Economic Council’s 16th Annual Hobnob event on Oct. 25 that he would support putting a gas tax increase on the Nov. 2018 ballot for voter approval. Read More>> While most New Hampshire residents believe the...

read more

Feb. 5: State News Roundup

While some states move forward on transportation funding legislation, others grapple with transportation revenue shortfalls. State Transportation Funding Legislation Activity Hawaii Gov. David Ige included a plan to increase the state gas tax by 3 cents-per-gallon, as...

read more


This unsuccessful campaign with the New Hampshire state legislature failed to pass a transportation bill that would have increased the gasoline tax by 12-cents-per-gallon.  House Bill 617 proposed a half-billion dollar tax increase on gasoline over the course of a...

read more


A 4.2 cents-per-gallon motor fuel increase was signed into law in New Hampshire on May 20, 2014 for the purpose of resurfacing and reconstruction on secondary roadways, municipal bridges, and Interstate 93.  Case Study- New Hampshire 2014 Gas Tax Increase (SB...

read more

New Hampshire Ballot Measure Results



Fuel Taxes

Excise Tax:

  • Compressed natural gas (CNG), liquefied natural gas (LNG), and propane (LPG): 22.2 cents-per-GGE.

Fee/Tax in addition to Gas Excise Tax: Oil discharge and cleanup fee (1.625 cents-per-gallon).

*Federal funding percentages are from an ARTBA analysis of FHWA Highway Statistics data, total ten year average 2004-2013 from tables SF-1 and SF-2. The percent is the ratio of federal aid reimbursements to the state and total state capital outlays and is indicative of the importance of the federal aid program to state capital spending for highways and bridges. Does not include local capital spending. Federal highway reimbursements are primarily used for capital outlays, including construction, right of way and engineering, but are also used for debt service for GARVEE bonds.