A recording of the Dec. 7 webinar, “Beating Gas Tax Rhetoric from the Right,” is now available online. The webinar featured three advocates who successfully campaigned to increase state transportation investment while facing organized resistance from groups opposed to...read more
This ballot referendum campaign in Atlanta, Georgia failed to pass the “Special District Transportation Sales and Use Tax” in each of the ten counties in the Atlanta region, although it did pass within the limits of the City of Atlanta. Georgia is one of only a few...read more
Legislation approved May 4, 2015 to remove the variable-rate motor fuel tax and institute a flat cents-per-gallon increase, which will be indexed, as well as raise various transportation-related fees. Case Study- Georgia 2015 Gas Tax Increase (HB...read more
Over the past 10 years, state transportation funds have supported an average of 48 percent of annual capital outlays for highway and bridge projects, with federal resources providing the remaining 52 percent. Since 2013, 15 states have increased taxes on motor fuel to...read more
An updated report with information on over 160 transportation funding initiatives introduced in 2015—what’s passed, what’s failed, and what’s still pending—is now available. So far in 2015: Washington, Nebraska, Georgia, Idaho, Utah, South Dakota, Iowa, and Delaware...read more
Washington became the seventh state in 2015 to approve an increase in their state gas tax, joining Idaho, Iowa, Georgia, South Dakota, Utah and Nebraska. On Aug. 1, a 7 cents-per-gallon increase went into effect state-wide, with the remaining 4.9 cents of the 11.9...read more
(Washington) More than two dozen transportation champions came together July 15 in the Nation’s Capital for the inaugural meeting of the “Transportation Investment Advocates Council™” – a national network of construction and better roads professionals, chamber of...read more
Seven states this year have increased taxes on motor fuel to support needed transportation investment, with several others still considering legislation to increase transportation funding. Transportation Investment Advocacy Center (TIAC) staff have prepared in-depth...read more
Six states raised their gas taxes on July 1 in order to help pay for transportation projects, but an ARTBA analysis shows actual retail prices at the pump mostly fell, in line with recent patterns. Residents of Idaho, Georgia, Maryland, Rhode Island, Nebraska and...read more
Georgia transportation advocates experienced a resounding victory with the passage of the state’s House Bill 170 in May, a bill that will increase transportation funding within the state by an estimated $900 million per year. Join us on July 15 at the Hyatt Regency in...read more
Georgia Ballot Measure Results
Electric Vehicle Fee: Plug-in Electric Vehicle owners pay an annual fee of $200 for non-commercial vehicles and $300 for commercial vehicles.
Excise tax: Special fuels are taxed at the state motor fuel rate of 26 cents-per-gallon (or MFGE for compressed or liquid natural gas). Special fuels sold in bulk to a licensed consumer distributor are exempt.
Fee: Permits are required for individuals or businesses to sell CNG. Cost: one-time fee of $150
** Variable-Rate Formula: Indexed to both the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and the Consumer Price Index (the latter of which will sunset July 1, 2018).
*Federal funding percentages are from an ARTBA analysis of FHWA Highway Statistics data, total ten year average 2004-2013 from tables SF-1 and SF-2. The percent is the ratio of federal aid reimbursements to the state and total state capital outlays and is indicative of the importance of the federal aid program to state capital spending for highways and bridges. Does not include local capital spending. Federal highway reimbursements are primarily used for capital outlays, including construction, right of way and engineering, but are also used for debt service for GARVEE bonds.