4th Annual "National Workshop for State & Local Transportation Advocates"
Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Hyatt Regency Washington | Washington, D.C.
The “National Workshop for State & Local Transportation Advocates,” a signature program of the Transportation Investment Advocacy Center™ (TIAC), brings together transportation investment champions from around the country to share best practices, playbook secrets and other keys to success in advancing state and local legislative and ballot initiatives that boost transportation infrastructure investment.
The annual in-person meeting of the Transportation Investment Advocates Council will be held the afternoon of Tuesday, July 11. This meeting is for members of the Council, or for those interested in joining the Council.
Scroll below to view the agenda, or download the agenda.
Feedback for the National Workshop for State & Local Transportation Advocates:
“There is so much at stake with these funding issues. Politics is the process of making good policy, but the process is relational. This workshop provides an opportunity to build relationships and get better access to data and information.”
– Seth Millican, director of the Georgia Transportation Alliance.
“It was invaluable hearing from other states that had been successful in getting funding. It was also helpful hearing from those states that hadn’t been successful.”
– Maria Fuentes, executive director of the Maine Better Transportation Association
“There is no other event like this in the country that provides an opportunity for advocates to gather and discuss issues. The National Workshop provides forums to share information on the issues we face and the solutions we develop.”
–Juva Barber, executive director of Kentuckians for Better Transportation
Confirmed speakers include…
- Oregon State Rep. Brad Witt (D- District 31)
- Montana State Rep. Frank Garner (R- District 7)
- Tennessee Speaker Pro Tem Jim Tracy (R- District 16)
- Louisiana Rep. Kenneth Havard (R- District 62)
- Dr. Alison Premo Black, chief economist, ARTBA
- David Bauer, senior vice president of government relations, ARTBA
- Idaho State Sen. Bert Brackett (R- District 23)
- Jordan Marsh, vice president, South Carolina Alliance to Fix Our Roads
- Anthony Attanasio, executive director, UTCA NJ
- Michael Quigley, executive director, California Alliance for Jobs
- Dennis Faulkenberg, president, Appian (Indiana)
- Andrea French, executive director, TAG Houston
- Juva Barber, executive director, Kentuckians for Better Transportation
- Burt Tasaico, state program analysis engineer, NC Department of Transportation
- Larry Major, director of government relations, Pike Industries
- Seth Millican, executive director, Georgia Transportation Alliance
- Nick Donohue, Deputy Secretary of Transportation, Virginia Department of Transportation
- Barb Rohde, executive director, Mileage-Based User Fee Alliance
Additional speakers will be announced soon!
Follow the links below for recorded presentations, photos and more from previous years’ Workshops.
- 3rd Annual National Workshop for State & Local Transportation Advocates: July 13, 2016 at the Washington Court Hotel in Washington, DC.
Over 100 transportation investment champions from 30 states joined forces July 13 in the Nation’s Capital for the third annual National Workshop for State & Local Transportation Advocates, a signature program of ARTBA’s Transportation Investment Advocacy Center™ (TIAC). The need to broaden coalitions to gain further support and momentum was a recurring theme of the one-day event. The workshop featured better roads professionals, chamber of commerce executives and public officials with an interest in building support for infrastructure investments locally, and included the annual meeting of the Transportation Investment Advocates Council™.
- 2nd Annual National Workshop for State & Local Transportation Advocates: July 15, 2015 at the Hyatt Regency in Washington, DC.
The 2nd Annual “National Workshop for State & Local Transportation Advocates,” a signature program of the Transportation Investment Advocacy Center™ (TIAC), on July 15 brought together over 100 transportation investment champions from 28 states under one roof to share best practices, playbook secrets and other keys to success in advancing state and local legislative and ballot initiatives that boost transportation infrastructure investment.
- Inaugural National Workshop for State & Local Transportation Advocates: July 16, 2014 at the Washington Court Hotel in Washington, DC.
Transportation investment proponents from 22 states participated this past July in the inaugural National Workshop for State & Local Transportation Advocates held in Washington, D.C. At this first-of-its kind event, new research on trends in transportation funding and politics over the past decade were previewed. Participants also took an in-depth look at how funding increases were achieved through legislation in Pennsylvania and Virginia and a ballot initiative in Arkansas—and lessons learned from a ballot defeat in Atlanta, Georgia. Presenters at the full day session included campaign managers, legislators, and political, media, fundraising and polling experts.